The Kraft Nabisco LPGA In Rancho Mirage

Until yesterday afternoon, I’d never been to either a PGA or LPGA tournament.  Since the Kraft Nabisco LPGA event was taking place this weekend at the Mission Hills Golf and Country Club in nearby Rancho Mirage, I thought it would be as good an opportunity as any to see the top women golfers in the world hit the ball around.

The grandstand encircling the first tee at Mission HillsIMG_5881

Paulette and I had spent the entire morning in Palm Springs doing the usual garage sale thing.  She does a lot of walking, while I do a lot of waiting.  So, she begged off the golf tournament as she was too tired and could care less about golf anyway - men’s or women’s. 

Karrie Webb launched this drive straight down the middle of the 1st fairwayIMG_5876

So, just after 12 noon, I took the 15 minute drive over to Mission Hills, drove in the gates and promptly found a nice parking spot in a grassy area that had been turned into a parking lot for the tournament.  From there, I walked up a short path to the entrance, paid $30 and headed towards the grandstand and the 1st tee.

Looking down the fairway to the first green off in the distanceIMG_5880

I arrived just as the final groups were getting set to tee off, so I was just in time to see the leaders.  I recognized a few of them from watching the odd LPGA tournament on TV.  Among the golfers I saw, who’s names I knew, were Morgan Pressel, Michelle Wie, Karrie Webb and Lorena Ochoa.  Wow, these ladies can sure hit a golf ball – and, it seems so effortless too!

Karrie Webb, on the right, ready for her 2nd shot – not a bad drive!IMG_5882

After watching 5 groups of 2 tee off, I headed up to the 2nd and 3rd holes to get a look at some of the action on the fairways and greens.  I was snapping away with my camera but being very careful not to interfere with any of the swings as I know how upset that makes them.  It wasn’t long before I noticed that no one else was taking pictures.  What gives, I thought?

It was shortly after taking this picture, that I asked the Marshall about camerasIMG_5886

I happened to see a Tournament Marshall nearby and casually asked him what the rules were for taking pictures.  His response was “No cameras allowed.  Period.  If anyone is seen taking pictures they are liable to have their camera confiscated and be ejected from the golf course”.  Oh, the absolute ignominy of it all – to be kicked out of my first pro golf event, and lose my trusty Canon G10 to boot.

I deftly slid my G10 into my pocket while explaining to the Marshall that I thought I’d better ask before taking any pics.  He thanked me for being so courteous and scooted away in his golf cart.  I walked around the course for about another 2 hours, baking in the hot sun and 90 degree weather, and then thought I’d make my escape with my camera still safe in my pocket.  These LPGA golfers are amazing and incredibly skilled, it was a real treat to watch them.

Paulette is right in the middle of this stuff looking for some bargainsIMG_5869

When I got back, I had a very pleasant surprise waiting – an email response from the Butterfield RV Resort in Benson, AZ, confirming my request for reservations for a 3 night stay beginning next Wednesday.  I emailed Butterfield Resort just before I left for the golf tournament.  Now, that’s what I call prompt customer service. 

While Paulette was in front looking a junk, I slipped around the back to see this!IMG_5872

I still haven’t heard a thing from the Queen Mine RV Park in Bisbee and I guess I never will.  But, it’s only been 4 days since I contacted them so maybe I should have been just a bit more patient.  Yeah, right!  We are still very much looking forward to visiting Bisbee and spending some time there even though it will include a bit more travel time now.

Have a great Easter Sunday, and thanks again for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment