Roses are difficult for me to paint. My left brain starts thinking I have to replicate every single darned petal, and then I get lost trying to find where I left off as I paint. They’re such beautiful flowers, and so I want to learn to loosely get the big shapes and just “suggest:” ROSE.
Our yard typically has roses everywhere, but a lot of them are the dark, rich pinks, and while they are lovely, I am drawn to the pale, soft whites, corals and pinks that are delicate and fragile looking. So now, we’ve added a pretty yellow rose and a white rose. Friends also gave us a miniature, light, coral rose that we’ve planted in the ground this year and it’s thriving.
I should have lots of possibilities for practicing my sketches, but I do tend to get frustrated. My brain doesn’t seem to want to lean towards strong swooshes of color, but wants to niggle at it like the anal-retentive person I am! So, you can imagine my exhilaration to realize I was not alone in my feelings, when I read this quotation:
“There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose, because before he can do so he has first to forget all the roses that were ever painted.” (-Henri Matisse)
0 comments:
Post a Comment