My job takes me to many parts of the country, and every once in a while, on a weekend, when I’m heading from one location to the next, I will drive through particularly beautiful areas. One such area is Carmel by the Sea. I had finished visiting the northern California schools and needed to head to the southern schools one year, and over the weekend, I took the
Pacific Coastal Highwayto see some of the state along the coastline. It was a long, but beautiful drive.
I stopped in Carmel by the Sea, which is a charming, story-book kind of town. The houses and shops are strewn with flowers and color. The architecture is even like out of a fairy tale.
The

Pacific Coastal Highwayis a route that gives you the most breath-taking vistas over the ocean, but it was a white-knuckle experience for someone who has a phenomenal, irrational fear of heights. Because the road winds precariously close to the coast along craggy mountainsides, I was clenching the steering wheel even though rationally I know that I’m safely positioned in my car on the road. I was completely drawn to the beautiful scenery, but I was petrified to look at it, simultaneously. I’m glad I got to see it, as it is a magnificently beautiful part of our country.
In an interesting quotation I saw by John Steinbeck, he said that: "If Carmel 's founders should return, they could not afford to live there, but it wouldn't go that far. They would be instantly picked up as suspicious characters and deported over the city line."(-- Travels with Charley ) Personally, I think they'd still want to risk it, though!...

0 comments:
Post a Comment