“Women have a favorite room, men a favorite chair.” (-Bern Williams)




It’s true: I do wind up having favorite rooms. I'm sure it has to do with a lot of things, like the light that streams in, the colors and the overall ambiance of a space: I’m attracted to soothing palettes best. But, that said, I do happen to like chairs...and I particularly like outdoor chairs. I always notice them in yards, and on campuses when I travel for Duke, and in gardens and flea markets.
There’s something very appealing about sitting comfortably ensconced in a chair and soaking up the sounds and smells of the great outdoors. Plus, it’s fun to think of the outdoors as another “room.” I like to create spots under a tree for one room, and in front of flower arrangements for another. This campus (St Olaf's in Minnesota) had ubiquitous adirondack chairs all over the hills that were beautiful resting spots for students to enjoy.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->



I like when people incorporate chairs into a garden. We do this in our yard, and I enjoy seeing them out amongst the flowers. And then,... there’s also the notion of completely ignoring the chair’s primary purpose, and using it for something else entirely.

“All I want is a room somewhere,/ far away from the cold night air;/ With one enormous chair…/ oh, wouldn’t it be loverly?” (-Alan Jay Lerner)
I highly approve of that idea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment