My New Canon G10 PowerShot Camera

Late last year, while preparing for our annual winter vacation to Palm Springs & Arizona, I decided I wanted, not really needed, a new digital camera. The camera I owned then was a 6 year old, 4 megapixel Nikon Coolpix 4500. I wanted a camera with a higher megapixel resolution to allow cropping without any noticeable loss of picture quality as well as a few other new features.

The first thing I had to do was decide whether or not I wanted to stay with a ‘point and shoot’ model or switch to a digital SLR. The SLR’s had dropped so much in price that there really wasn’t a whole lot of price difference between some of them and the high-end point and shoots, so price wasn’t really a deciding factor.

I’m just an avid amateur photographer, I mostly take pictures of scenery while RV’ing as well as snapshots of family, friends and anything else that captures my imagination. I wanted a camera with great image quality that was also compact, easy to use, had lots of features, and was fast to pull out of the bag and start shooting. Also, I didn’t want to fool around with changing lenses. So, weighing these considerations, I decided to stay with the point and shoot models as I really liked the results I got from the Nikon 4500 and especially the convenience of a point and shoot.

The internet was absolutely invaluable in helping me research the camera choices available and I quickly narrowed my selection down to 3 – the Nikon Coolpix P6000, the Canon PowerShot G10 and the Panasonic LX3. After a few weeks of reading reviews and visiting camera stores, I decided to buy the 15 megapixel Canon PowerShot G10 plus I was able to get it on sale for less than $500 – 15 megapixels – WOW!

First, all the digital cameras I looked at took great pictures and were full of features. I chose the G10 because I felt the image quality was a bit superior, it is built like a ‘brick’, has easily accessible external settings and dials, a nice bright 3” LCD and 26 different shooting modes. The G10 just felt better in my hands than the others!

After taking over 1,000 pics on our recent RV trip, I am completely happy with the G10 and satisfied that I made the perfect choice for my needs. I like to sit at my computer now and look at the great shots I got of the Grand Canyon and Sedona – all by just taking out my G10, then pointing and shooting.

From The Grand Canyon

From The Red Rocks of Sedona

So that’s it for a few more years before I get the ‘camera bug’ again – I hope!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment