I'm Feeling Lucky!

Well, what to write about today? Nothing much new. Didn't do much yesterday. I did spend some time though organizing and reviewing my digital photo albums, so how about pictures? Specifically, digital images and an easy way to make them look a little better.

One of the most powerful, yet simple, functions in the Picasa 3 Photo Management program is a tool called "I'm Feeling Lucky". With just one click, Picasa can render a poor picture into an acceptable one. Or, just as easily, turn one of your great pictures into an even better looking image. The photos below show how Picasa changed a somewhat dull picture(left) I had taken into a much more vibrant image(right) with just one mouse click.

Left, the image before. Right, the image after using "I'm Feeling Lucky"


To be sure, I don't claim to be an expert at Picasa, photography or anything else for that matter. But, I noticed last week that Paulette posted a few pictures on her blog that were kind of dark and really needed a bit of TLC. She also uses Picasa but had no idea she could use it to make her pics look better. When I showed Paulette how easy the "I'm Feeling Lucky" function was, she was amazed and began trying it out. So, I thought, just maybe, there might be a few others out in blogland in exactly the same boat. Just in case, here's a quick little trick you might want to try to improve your pics.

Open Picasa 3, navigate and double-click on a picture to bring up the editing screen(below). In the second row of icons, you will notice one that says "I'm Feeling Lucky". Click on it and notice the changes to your picture, o.k.

Click on the "I'm Feeling Lucky" icon and see what happens


A few things could happen after clicking the icon. Hopefully, the picture will look a bit better, or maybe it didn't change much at all. Sometimes, though rarely, the image may even look worse. As you can see in the screenshot below, the "I'm Feeling Lucky" icon has faded, and now, there is a new "Undo, I'm Feeling Lucky" button at the bottom. Try it! It will revert your image right back to it's original form. So, no harm can come from trying this technique, but, you just might be surprised at how good it can make some your 'not so great' pics look!

The "I'm Feeling Lucky" icon has faded and below is the Undo button


If you don't have Picasa, you can download it for free from Google. Picasa has many other powerful editing features as well as great tools for turning your pics into movies, slideshows and neat looking collages. It's also great for just storing and organizing all your images in one place. And, just for the record, I have absolutely no financial interest whatsoever with Picasa - wish I did though!

Finally, I must wish our daughter, Maggie, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! She turned 27 yesterday(my blog's always a day late and a dollar short!). This spring, Maggie received her Law Degree and we are very proud of her. She works so hard, always striving to do her very best. The best thing about Maggie is - she is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. Hope you had a great birthday, Mags!

Maggie and her boyfriend Toby having fun in Blairmore last month


After a couple of rather dreary, cloudy days, the sun came out again yesterday and our summer returned to normal. It's quilting day today, so Paulette will be off to meet the rest of her group at 9:00 this morning. I'll be on dog-duty all day as well as making spaghetti sauce in the crock-pot for dinner tonight. I'd better get started on that right now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment