Little Niagara Falls and Some Pumpkins

When I got up yesterday morning at 6:30, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Too bad I had to spend most of the morning getting a haircut. A haircut to me, is like stopping to fill up with gas or diesel. I know it has to be done and I know I should do it before I absolutely have to. It just seems like such a waste of time, but after it always feels great to know that it's over and I don't have to worry about it for a while.

Little Niagara Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park


Another thing? Why am I still driving an hour to Victoria just to get a haircut when there are perfectly good places near home here in Cowichan Bay? I have no idea, except that I've been going to the same lady, Sally, for haircuts since 1980 - that's a lot of hair on the floor! I probably won't change that until Sally retires - which shouldn't be too much longer.

A bone dry Niagara Creek in Goldstream Provincial Park


Driving home, always takes me right through the middle of Goldstream Provincial Park. The park is home to 600 year old Douglas fir trees and western red cedar, mixed with western yew and hemlock, red alder, big leaf maple and black cottonwood. The Goldstream River is the site of an annual chum salmon spawning run, which draws thousands of salmon - and visitors - every year.

Niagara Creek flows through this tunnel under the highway


Another highlight of Goldstream is our very own Niagara Falls! This 150 ft. waterfall cascades down a rock cliff into a crystal clear canyon pool. The falls, and the pool, are the only water around as the Niagara Creek is absolutely bone dry right now. I took the 5 minute walk to the falls by walking along the creek bed, following it through the tunnel under the highway and then following the creek to the falls.

Mikalya demonstrating how to make pumpkins using chenille, batting and paint


When I got back home about 1:00, Paulette and Mikayla were out in the backyard working on a 'pumpkin craft' of some kind. They started by cutting up an old chenille bedspread into approximately 1 ft. circles, stuffing them with batting to form a pumpkin and then painting them orange. There are a few more steps to go, but the pumpkins have to dry first. Mikayla is going to be a good little 'crafter' by the time she goes home next week.

Mikayla and Paulette showing off their crafty pumpkin handiwork!


At Mikayla's request, we made soft tacos with ground beef, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and hot sauce for dinner last night. We haven't had those for a long time so it was a welcome change. Last night, Paulette and Mikayla were upstairs on their computers and watching dvd's or TV while I watched a couple of ballgames down in the family room.

All in all, it was another pretty good day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment