Free Library eBooks/Audiobooks & RV'ing

Did you know that you can download books, written by your favorite authors, from your local Public Library no matter where you happen to be? These books include new releases, best sellers and classics - all for free, as long as you are a member. The books come in both eBook and Audiobook format, so you can read them on a compatible eBook Reader, like the Sony PRS-505, or listen to an Audiobook on your laptop, or even an Apple IPod. These functions have been around for a while, I just never bothered with them until I got an eBook reader a few weeks ago and started looking for books to download - especially free ones!

It seems to me though, that this technology is tailor made for us RV'ers. Imagine, if you will, being out in the desert somewhere(Al, are you listening?) and suddenly discovering you have nothing to read - assuming first, that you enjoy reading! But, you may have a WiFi connection, so you could simply sign on to any Public Library you happen to belong to, and in a few minutes have a great book to read, or to listen to. All without ever leaving your site!

I find the Sony Reader a perfect size for reading
The procedures for obtaining both eBooks and Audiobooks from your Public Library are pretty much the same. The devices used to read, or listen, to the books are obviously different as one is a visual file while the other is strictly audio. Instructions for downloading free software to play either eBook or Audiobook files are very simple to follow.

So, to avoid duplication and confusion, I'm just going to talk about the eBook side of things as that is what I've been using! The same principles though, apply to Audiobooks. I began yesterday morning, by pulling my ancient Cowichan Valley Library card out of my wallet and signing into their website. To my complete surprise, our little old Cowichan Valley library does have a great eBook collection - in fact, it's integrated with other public libraries throughout B.C. Wow! It looked just great!

A new release available from Public Library
It didn't take long to figure out how to browse the online eBook catalogue as there are search categories. I noticed that one author I sometimes read, Steve Berry, has a new book titled The Paris Vendetta that is not due out in hardcover until December 1, 2009.

I added my name to the 'hold' list so I will be able to download this "new release" book for free as soon as it becomes available. It is listed on Amazon for $20.16 so that's nice to know. At the same time, I did find another book I wanted, so I downloaded it to my PC and transferred the file to my Sony Book Reader! Perfect - another free book!

One note, most public library books are published in either ePub or PDF format, both of which are fully supported by Sony. Unfortunately, the Amazon Kindle does not have native support for either ePub or PDF, so Kindle owners are not able to take advantage of most Public Library books.

I was also really curious as to how the system worked to protect the authors from copyright infringement while at the same time allowing clients to borrow eBooks from a public library, just as freely as they would borrow paper books. The answer, in a nutshell, is the process for both is pretty much the same. A public library buys a given number of copies of any particular book, for example, let's say 5 copies. Those books are loaned out to clients, for a specific period, on a 'first come, first served' basis and they are rotated in and out of the library thousands of times over the lifetime of the book.

In the case of a digital eBook file, the same principle applies. The public library buys a fixed number of licenses for a particular book, again let's use 5 as an example. That means the library could only lend out 5 digital copies of that book at any one time. The digital eBooks have embedded protection codes which restrict the readable lifetime of the eBook to 21 days. This is much the same principle as the 'return by date' on paper books. The embedded protection in the files, also prohibits the printing of eBooks as well.

Comparing size of a pocketbook to Sony PRS-505
If you read the eBook in less than 21 days, you can be a courteous reader and return the book for circulation by simply clicking on the book 0n your PC and clicking again on 'return to library'. It doesn't get any easier than that. Once the eBook is returned, or the 21 day period expires, the file is unreadable on your PC or eBook reader and can be deleted manually. Most libraries allow you to download any particular book up to 3 times in the event you are a slow reader.

This system is just another example of the tremendous benefits that computer technology continues to provide to enhance our enjoyment of life. Think of what this ability now offers to the elderly and the disabled who can no longer visit their local libraries in person.

One of the first things I'm going to do when we're down in Palm Springs come January, is to visit their local library and see about joining it too so that we can take advantage of the eBooks and Audiobooks(for Paulette) they have to offer. This eBook reader purchase is looking better and better all the time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment