Hang On To Your Old Shirts, Guys!!

Today, something altogether different – quilts!  A couple of weeks ago, I wrote that Paulette had bought a bunch of men’s old cotton shirts at a thrift store for just .99 cents each.  At first, I was horrified at the idea that she might even think I would consider wearing any of them, but I should have known that wasn’t her plan.  Instead, after washing all the shirts, followed by a busy 2 weeks in her sewing room, here’s what Paulette has turned those old shirts into:

This is the quilt Paulette made from the thrift store shirtsP10207634

The quilt isn’t finished yet as it still has to be stitched(or quilted) and have the batting, backing and borders applied, but when it’s finished it’s going to be a real beauty!  Imagine having a nice, warm quilt made entirely out of your old shirts – what more could a guy ask for?  That’s taking recycling to a whole new level!

Here’s the pile of old 99 cent shirts Paulette started with. P10206814

Although I know less than nothing about quilting, I take it from this picture Paulette took, that each of the shirts had to be cut into matching triangles before being sewn together.

Cutting, matching and sewing shirts cut up into trianglesP10206884

I can imagine a lot of you guys, right now, might be thinking about running off to your closets to check on how many old shirts you have hanging around – shirts that you haven’t worn for years and years!  I already beat you to it!  I counted up over a dozen, similar to the ones in this quilt, that I’ll never wear again.  So, I’m at the head of the line for the next quilt! 

Paulette did a great job cleaning out the backyard shed! IMG_2548

Paulette did a great job of cleaning up and organizing our backyard shed yesterday morning.  It won’t be long before we have to load all the lawn and deck furniture back in there for the winter, so at least now the shed will have enough room for it all.

Sunday was another perfect “summer” day here on the Island with temperatures in the 80’s again.  I had to cut the backyard lawn for the second time this week as the grass is growing like crazy again.  After that, I just watched a bit of football and golf on TV as it was too hot to work outside.  September is just flying by it seems.

0 comments:

Post a Comment