The wind blew our Rose Trellis and Wind Chimes into the pond!
After Paulette pointed out the arbor, in the pond, I said "wow, how did I miss that?" Later that morning, we went out and Paulette grabbed one end of the arbor, I got the other, and in just a few seconds it was back in place no worse for wear. I'll just have to drive a few stakes in the ground, along side the posts, and then screw the stakes to the posts to anchor the arbor so it doesn't blow over again. The arbor is about 10 years old and this has never happened before - the rose bushes are getting a bit top-heavy though, time to trim them a bit.
While we we were out working on putting the trellis back up, I had a look at the apple tree just beside the pond and it is just loaded with apples ready to be picked. They look really good too - so, it won't be long before we will be in apple pie and apple crisp heaven! Right, Paulette?
Our apple trees in the backyard are just loaded with apples this year
The Kindle 2 from Amazon
I received a comment yesterday from Jim, who is Dee's(Tumbleweed) DH, pointing out that the Amazon Kindle does, in fact, have a web browsing capability that allows users to "get some rudimentary text versions of sites". I had stated in my blog "It might have been different if the Kindle offered some 'web-browsing' capability, but it doesn't."Jim is, of course, absolutely correct as the Amazon Kindle does have the ability to access and display 'text-centric' sites on the Internet. Maybe it's a distinction without a difference, but I did not want to leave a false impression with anyone that, with the Kindle, you could browse the web like you do with a laptop - or, even Apple's I-Phone, because you can't. As Jim said, you can get "rudimentary text versions of sites" which, in my mind, is very different to actual "web-browsing" as we have come to know it(i.e Firefox and IE8). Most Kindle users, from what I've heard, simply use the wireless feature of the Kindle to download books from Amazon and hardly ever use it for anything else.
However, I should have made this point clearer, I suppose, in my original blog about e-Readers. I enjoy taking technical topics and trying to simplify them, by taking out all of the 'nerd jargon', by explaining in plain English what it all means. I always hope that by doing this, others who have no idea about the tech device, topic etc., can at least come away with a basic understanding of what it is all about. Sometimes, in trying to do this, I occasionally may leave out information that others find important. Not explaining fully what I meant by 'web-browsing capability' is a good case in point. Rather than just dismiss it, as not functionally useful, I should have taken the time to explain it more fully.
Finally, both the Amazon Kindle and the Sony PRS-505 Book Reader are excellent units, as I stated in my original blog. There is very little to choose between them. Anyone wanting an e-book reader would be happy with either one. So, before buying one of these devices, I would strongly advise anyone to try and hold one in your own hands. You can see the PRS-505 at any Sony Store and, hopefully, you can find a friend who owns a Kindle. To me, that just might be the most important factor in making your decision - how it feels to you, and of course, what kind of deal you can get - either way, you can't lose!Just before noon, yesterday, Paulette went off to lunch with her Sorority friends and I stayed home doing guess what?? Reading, of course! I even downloaded a few books that I haven't read since I was a kid, and I got them both absolutely free - Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Who knows, one of these cold nights, when our fireplace is on in the family room, I just might call up one of these old classics and read it again.
0 comments:
Post a Comment