Who Stopped the Rain?

Who stopped the rain? That's what I've been wondering for months now - ever since April, when we got our last real measurable rainfall here on Vancouver Island. We live on the edge of the rain-forest, but you'd never know it. Yesterday morning, though, it looked at last like we may be in for a bit of wet weather! When I got up, it was overcast with just a light drizzle and it really looked like it was going to be a very, wet gloomy day!

A light rain falling in the Cowichan River on the Koksilah First Nations' Reserve


Around 10:00 Saturday morning, I decided to take a quick run into Duncan to check out the brand new London Drugs store. It just opened a few days ago and I wanted to see what their Computer and Electronics section was like. London Drugs is one of those drugstores that sells everything - they even have an actual pharmacy! I was pleasantly surprised as the computer and electronics department was first rate - it had just about everything!

An old church, and cemetery, on the Koksilah Reserve


I took my Canon G10 camera with me when I left for town, because I wanted to take a few shots in the rain. I've had this camera since last Christmas, but I don't think I've taken any pics when it was raining - at least I don't remember any. So, heading back home, I took a different route which goes right through the middle of the Koksilah First Nations' Reserve. That's where I took all of the rainy pictures for today's blog.

The wet, rainy day didn't last though, as by the time I arrived home around noon, the rain had stopped and the skies were starting to clear. It didn't take long before we were back to sunny skies again and it stayed that way right through the evening.

A few hundred yards ahead, the Cowichan River ends as it flows into the ocean.


It's the last long weekend of the summer and the school are back in next week. This used to be a hectic, frantic time around our house when Paulette was still teaching Grade 1. Despite spending the 2 prior weeks getting her classroom ready, it always seemed there was more last minute stuff to take care of on the Labor Day weekend. Since she retired 2 years ago, that's all changed as peace and tranquility now reigns supreme - life is good!

An old barn, and farm, right on the edge of the Koksilah Reserve


The only real difference I see now with school starting is that the early morning/late afternoon traffic, to and from Victoria, really increases. Even that doesn't affect us all that much, because if we do have to go to Victoria during the week, we always try to make sure we don't leave until after 9:00 and head home prior to 3:00, that way we miss most of the busy times.

Paulette went down to Victoria, as usual Saturday morning, but it wasn't a great day for garage sales as it was raining down there most of the morning too. Instead, she spent most of her time checking out quilting stores as well as browsing in a couple of thrift stores. She came home with a bunch of men's shirts she said she bought for .99 cents each and before I could shout "no way", Paulette said not to worry as she was going to wash them, cut them all up and use them for some kind of quilt project she has in mind! I won't wear thrift store clothing!

Last night, we just stayed home and watched TV, spent some time on the computer and went to be early and read for a while.

0 comments:

Post a Comment